Translate

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Donna Summer :'(

I loved Donna Summer.
'The Last Dance', 'I feel love', 'love to love you baby, I remember them too well. I also loved Dan Hill so wonder if there was something in that Quebec water, or if I just had really bad taste in music. I did love Kiss at one point, but my excuse for loving those four chord wonders was the sheer spectacle. Now, who could you see in the seventies over and over that would spit blood, blow fire, and prance around in stilettos, it was awesome, and the wineskins probably helped a little bit in the enjoyment of the show....well, that and the show was $7.00(whoa!!)  I was around in the 70's and for the most part I kind of agreed with my older sister about disco sucking, but sorry, couldn't say that about DS. She was cool to me, in her own category, maybe having that awesome voice and even saving a real cheesy movie called, "Thank God it's Friday". Classic cheese movie, kind of like a Love Boat episode, but Donna Summer sang her hit right at the end(good marketing) and she made the $2.50 worthwhile just to see her sing 'The Last Dance' in the big finale. I know what you're thinking, man two dollars and fifty cents, Now, I'm just guessing, maybe someone out there actually remembers the price of a movie ticket and could enlighten me, I have an enquiring mind, don't you know, and it was the 70's, and you know what they say about the 70's??  I feel much more melancholy with DS passing than say Whitney Huston, who I'm comparing to because she also sang mostly dance hits but she was a superstar, well not a superstar like Mary Katherine Gallagher, but who, tell me who, could top Mary Katherine??
So here's the 70's in a nutshell, Donna Summer, clubs in Hull, camping, my sisters' Camaro, dragging in her Camaro(don't ask, it was allowed then), smoking(I think it was a law in Quebec), school dances with bands, Roughrider football games(North side sucks!!), taking the train(Expo games), and before I continue, here's my little aside comment on beer, where in some establishments you were served by the quart, what class!!There was  Bud, Canadian, and who could forget 50. These were the only beers I remember in the 70's, it was a dark age for beer unless you had a Brador, with the whopping alcohol content of, whoa, 5%. People drove over the border for those babies. No, I'm just making that up. I would have to devote a column just to all those wonderful wines we are still trying to forget, duck(as in baby), Piador(spelling?), Lonesome Charlie(now, am I making that one up, or was it a real wine??) Okay what else was great in the 70's, hmmm, gay bars had the best music, and then there was the shoes. Which side to you belong to, North Stars or Adidas??(your choice said a lot about you). My dress shoes were my Earth Shoes, loved them, and if you were really killing it, wear your Doc Martens with your short dress, and put a pair of bike shorts on to boot. It just worked. it was a simpler time. I feel love.
Con

1 comment:

  1. If DS would have died of overdose or gunshot wound, it would have been all over the news..she only suffered with cancer so only a small article in newspaper-love to love you baby-it was such a controversial song for back then..

    ReplyDelete