Translate

Sunday, June 24, 2012

When to talk to your teenage girls

I've noticed something lately. It seems that every darn thing that comes out of my mouth is unbelievably ridiculous or ignorant. Has any other moms noticed this about themselves? No one else in my life has noticed this strange phenomenon, nope not my husband, nor my friends, family or co-workers. No one except my daughter and step-daughter. Weird eh! Example: "Hey girls how about an omelet for supper?" Cue the first face down there. There are varied responses that go with that face, here's a sample....

"Omelets for supper, gross, don't feel like that!!!!"
                                                      "Yuch, I only eat fried eggs!!"

That face also says "And you're talking to me because???" Inevitably, I keep saying those 'disgusted face' inducing pronouncements, EVERY SINGLE DAY. I keep talking to them because I do remember way back to those hazy lazy preteen years...those lovely days where the girls giggled at things I said and sometimes after eating they would say things like, "That was soooo good, could you make it again tomorrow??" Just brings a tear to my eye. It's getting kind of tricky to make exactly what they want when they want it. There are a couple of tips I can pass along that I've learned. Don't talk to them in the morning, that's just foolhardy. You may get a sneer if you're lucky but usually the door closes, I wouldn't say it's a slam but it's getting close to that. It's better to bring things up at supper time, just a tip to all moms out there who find themselves saying ridiculous things like me and getting either look A or Look B. Morning just ain't a good time. Period.
For some reason you make much more sense in the evening....maybe hormones are on stand-by at this time....or I  just make more sense as the day goes on. Keeping this reasoning in mind, by midnight I should be waxing poetic don't you think. When the girls tell me they're going for a walk in the evening, I could say something back like:
The moon has a face like the clock in the hall;
She shines on thieves on the garden wall,


Not bad eh, okay I have to own up,  that was borrowed from Mr. Robert Louis Stevenson.

One more tip, talking in the car works really well, important stuff does get discussed. So, go for a long drive and chat away...you'll be amazed at what you'll learn. Something about sitting in close proximity, no eye contact, the wind in your hair and Hot 89.9 (you won't hear one personal iota if you fight over the radio stations, or worse say something like it's my car and I'm listening to CBC). Conversation killer and you're back to square one with those faces from below, so just for the sake of communication suffer through one more Katy Perry song and you never know what bridge you will gap, literally and figuratively.

Con





                                          
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment