Translate

Friday, June 22, 2012

Pledge to my girls

I have three sisters and we gave our mom a run for her money and probably had mood swings to rival my girls, that's putting it mildly, we were probably certifiable some days. Okay men don't read the next sentence if women's periods just freak you out, but ladies consider the following. Imagine if you will four girls (teenagers) having their periods at the same time in the same house!! Just think of Sybil times four...whoa!!.. I can hear the collective gasps..I read somewhere that women living together eventually all have their periods at the same time, something about the moon and tides and okay, I'm losing you so will save that subject matter for another time...okey dokey? There is nothing to say about that except I wouldn't have been terribly surprised to see my dad with one of those sticks and personal items hanging off the end walking away from our house on those special days. Wow dad, no wonder you built your own washroom downstairs, home way from home eh....
We were four against one and my mom never had a chance against us. We once tried to get her to admit to doing ANYTHING like having a smoke, a drink, staying out late etc., all the normal activities in Quebec, well there was other stuff but we were focused on the stuff you get into trouble for.... But no, she said she didn't do anything like that, and you know what? I believed her, and why? Mainly because I remember grandma and she scared the bejeesus out of me and that's probably the reason mom told us she nearly became a nun.When we visited for example and it was getting close to dinner time, grandma would come into the living room and flippantly tell us the TV was going off, supper was ready! Then she would turn it off and walk out.  Excuse me, but have you ever been in the middle of a Brady Bunch or Bewitched and someone just turns it off. "Geez, what's going to happen with Jan and her braces!!", or "Why does Samantha's cousin look exactly like her, but in a dark wig? and (same show) "Why does Darrin look so different :D?" What's up with that?? Joking aside, how could the woman just turn it off. Unbelievable!!  It was one frustrating experience because back then it was a huge source of entertainment for us....grandma in no way shared our love for 70's TV.
My sister had a Camaro at 17 and I was her sidekick and we grew up in Quebec! As I said in a previous blog we all smoked (I know BAD!!) but I think it was the law. I have been a non-smoker most of my life and if my girls smoked I would kill them, but my excuse is that we all did it until we moved away and got some sense. Okay I smoked a bit in Ontario as well and some in British Columbia but that's another story, another province. You don't need to know, doesn't pertain to this blog.
Once Grace was born, those odd (only at the cottage) smokes went by the wayside. If my sisters are reading this blog, just go with me on this fact and remember I know stuff about you as well...
I had to be a healthy mom, and it's the best thing I ever did. But it's not about me, stopped being about me approximately 16 years ago when Gracie Rose was born. Maggie didn't come into my life until much later...I'm doubly blessed now
So to sum up this blog, my mom never had a chance with us and our silly behaviour. We outnumbered her and were bigger than her to boot. That's not to say we didn't come around and start acting responsibly later, just not in those teenage years.
I have one daughter and one step-daughter and I have pretty good stamina and can't see them wearing me down to give permission to do anything that could harm their health. I simply won't allow it, I'm a stubborn redhead and I go to the gym and they don't.
Basically they can die their hair red, white or blue (that wasn't a go USA PLUG) and one has died her hair a fiery red, but that's okay. I'm a ginger myself but more of an sitting in an Irish pub kind of ginger. But no piercings or tattoos while your living with me and your dad. You can write on your arm with a marker the odd time(and they do??), or suck in a helium balloon the odd time (which they both have done??), but I have to agree that how else can you sing a Chipmunk's song properly??
So there you have it, I will stand strong and firm because I know firsthand about the mischief you can get into, but I think if I stay loose about the odd marker tattoo and the helium that they'll behave.
Eternally optimistic,
Con

No comments:

Post a Comment