Translate

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Nora Ephron, movies, music, love and heartache



I've got to mention Nora Ephron. I was saddened to hear about her passing. I have always looked up to her for blazing such a white hot trail in a male dominated world of screenwriting and directing. Here we are in the year 2012 and women are all over the entertainment world, look at Kathryn Bigelow who won best picture for The Hurt Locker in 2008, for God's sakes. I cannot believe it already been 4 years...Is that right? The truth of the matter is that the movie world is more populated with the ladies, thanks to Ms. Ephron. She didn't just turn out some huge movies like Sleepless in Seattle, and You've got Mail...she also wrote books that were heartbreaking and funny and based on her life like Heartburn. The movie based on this book had the biggest guns in Hollywood in it, Meryl Streep and Jack Nicholson but I don't remember it doing very well even with those two stars in it. I believe it was because it didn't have a happy Hollywood ending. It was quite the depressing ending with Nicholson leaving Streep for another woman when she was pregnant with their child. Whoa, how low can you go eh. I guess it's human nature to want to be entertained and feel good when you leave a theatre. I don't really care, I just want to see a good movie. Sometimes though it's all about the timing. I watched The Curious Case Benjamin Button and cried for days after because my sister was sick at the time and I kept thinking about her legacy and what her time on earth meant. Deep stuff. I think it would have just been an entertaining quirky kind of movie for me had my life circumstances not been so sad at the time. It's like falling in love and relating every freakin lyric in every freakin' love song to my life. How did they capture my big goofy love so accurately! Then when the break-up occurs it seems like you hear and can relate to every dire 'you've done me wrong' song on the radio and it breaks your heart all over again. I remember hearing Somebody's Cryin by Chris Isaak (hello!!), and one that gets me every freakin' time was Tracy Chapman (remember her) and her song The Promise. OMG, it would literally make me bawl like a baby. I just did a trial run and played it on Youtube and there they were, tears in my eyes yet again, geez. Okay it's not making me hysterical as it did in my past, because my life is pretty darn good these days, but it still has some power. The power of music is amazing, just think about it...if the song has a strong connection to a particularly bad time (or good), all those emotions are balled up together and you go back to those feelings when you hear those first few bars. When your life is pretty happy albeit uneventful, all those killer songs about love and heartache go back to their rightful place, in the background of your life where they are just songs on the radio not causing your emotions to spike. Thank God.
Back to Ms. Ephron, you inspired me for two reasons, for your honesty and humour. The big two in my books.
Con


                          
                


1 comment:

  1. You always bring back memories that I had forgotten-watched heartburn when life was not great for me..I forgot all about the movie and the ending. I also remember crying through the Benjamin Button movie and how you were concerned that our sister should not watch this movie-you are very compassionate

    ReplyDelete